Tuesday 27 September 2011

Swift Les Paul Copy - Bits n' Pieces

The new electronics for the Swift LP copy arrived this morning. I probably won't be able to actually install them until next week, but I'll list them here anyway.

I have bought, from Axes R Us, the following:
  • 2x CTS 250K linear pots (tone)
  • 2x CTS 250K logarithmic pots (volume)
  • 1 .47uf Sprague "Orange Drop" capacitor for the bridge tone control
  • 1 .33uf Sprague "Orange Drop" capacitor for the neck tone control
  • 1 three-way toggle switch
  • 1 mono jack socket
  • Various bits of wire

Basically the aim here is to replicate the actually not-too-bad sound of the original setup using better quality parts. I've also taken the decision to use a lower value cap for the neck tone control just to reduce the amount of mud a bit.

ETA: I've just taken measurement of the DC resistance of the stock pickups... the neck came in at 9.9Kohm and the bridge at 10.1Kohm. Not as much of a difference as expectations nor conventional wisdom demanded, but no biggie... I mean, twin P90s are often the same value the difference being made in how close they are to the strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment