Saturday 9 July 2011

Swift Les Paul Copy - In Bits

Damn, this is going to be harder than I thought.

The reasonably professionalish exterior hid some very shoddy workmanship (save the soldering which was actually pretty darn good). The screw holes for the neck are all over the place, the truss rod is very off centre and possibly at an angle too, the the top has been shaped over a central block rather than carved and capped meaning there's a lot of air between it and the main body block (I guess I could say it's semi-hollow if I sell it on!).

There's going to be a fair amount of filling and sanding and chiselling and hopefully not having to buy a new neck.

Oh, and it turns out it's loaded with 250k pots and .047uf caps... which might explain the unexpectedly meaty sound. I think I may stick some 300k pots in to bring up the brightness a teeny bit whilst still keeping that awesome bottom end.

No comments:

Post a Comment