Sunday 30 October 2011

Harley Benton GA5 head - Power up and begin troubleshooting

So, with the chassis back in the box (probably unneccessary, but I did it anyway) I took the amp upstairs, plugged it into my 4x12, switched it on and... nothing. Not a jot. Not even a hiss or hum.

I know it's not a problem with the speaker cable or cab, as I tested them using my Peavey Road Master head just now and they work fine. So what other possible issues could there be?

I don't think it's the EL84 (power amp valve) as that was glowing quite happily when I looked in the back of the head. No idea if the 12AX7 was glowing as it's in a metal tube thing so obviously I can't see it. Next power-on test will be chassis out, valves uncovered so I can see them both. In the mean time I'm going to have a closer look at all the connections within the amp and double double check that nothing's loose or broken. Also going to bodge some means of keeping that in-line fuse thingy closed in case that's a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment